Cruising is a bit like Marmite. You either love it. Or you hate it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of whether they like a certain product/service/holiday or in fact, anything. I’m going to list some benefits about taking a cruise holiday as opposed to a land-based one.
1. The ship is a destination in itself: It’s not just a form of transportation like an air-plane it’s a resort! Throughout the past decade or so, new cruise ships have become larger and larger. With this expansion in size, the cruise lines have had the opportunity to add many industry firsts onto cruise vessels of which has opened up the cruise industry to a larger market. For example, Allure of the Seas is the largest cruise ship afloat and features a zip line, two flow-riders and an on-board Central Park.
2. More destinations are on offer: In recent years, cruise lines have been able to add even more exciting destinations to their portfolio. Meaning now on certain cruises, you can visit destinations by ship that you would have not been able to beforehand.
3. The entertainment has got better: We all remember those dire variety and cabaret shows that were synonymous with the cruising industry, well say good-bye to those and hello to lavish west-end style production shows, often which have cost the cruise lines millions to present at sea.
4. The food: A large proportion of cruises, certainly from the mainstream brands are on a “full-board” basis, meaning the majority of your food is included and you only have to pay for drinks and certain speciality restaurants. You could eat all day (and night) lf you wanted to. Just think how much food there must be stored aboard to feed all passengers and crew during a seven night cruise.
5. Relaxation or Adventure, it’s up to you: On a cruise, you are allowed to do as little or as much as you wish. No-one will say you cannot just lounge by the pool for the entire holiday or that you must go ashore at every port of call. It is entirely your choice of what you want to see and do. Its a good idea to make a note of which activities interest you each day in the Daily Cruise Planner.
Of course there are endless reasons why cruising is a perfect holiday. But, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post; it is not for everyone. What do you think about cruising: is it for you? or perhaps do you prefer a land based holiday?